The Importance of Reading
by Mayor Pete
How Summer Reading Challenge works:
Register online, on or after June 3, from home or any SJCPL location and receive a registration prize (while supplies last).
Keep track of what you read online using your account. The more you read, the more chances you have to win, including some very special grand prizes awarded at the end of the Summer Reading Challenge!
We have exciting programs for kids, teens, and adults. See the designated section below for more information on each age group.
Children, newborn - age 12, read or listen to books you like by yourself or with the help of an adult and win prizes! Keep track of how many minutes you read by logging them here and visit any SJCPL location to collect your prizes.
Prizes are awarded at the following:
- 200 minutes - Your choice of coupon or toy prize
- 300 minutes - small toy
- 400 minutes - book
- 500 minutes - Entry into the SRC raffle
For every 100 minutes read after 500, you earn another raffle entry! Raffle winners will be notified by August 13th. For more information, call the Children’s Services Department at 282-4607 or stop by any SJCPL location.
Grand prize: Bike (2 winners)
Branch Prizes: (10 total, 1 winner from each location)
Additional Prizes: TBD
Teens, ages 12-18 (entering grades 7-12), we challenge you to take time to read for fun and enjoyment this summer!
Here’s what you do:
- Sign up online or at any SJCPL location. Receive an incentive prize (while supplies last).
- Read or listen to books, graphic novels, or magazines. Keep track of your reading time online.
- Read 600 minutes and be entered into our drawing at the end of summer.
- For each additional 300 minutes read, receive another entry. The more you read, the more chances you have to win.
- New this year: Attend a teen program at any SJCPL location and earn 60 minutes!
Grand prize: Go Pro-Hero HD Action Camera (1 winner)
Branch Prize: Kindle Fire Tablet 7” 8GB (10 total, 1 winner from each location)
Additional Prizes: $10 Target Gift Card (40 total)
Here’s what you do:
- Sign up online or at any SJCPL location. Receive an incentive prize for signing up.
- Read or listen to books, graphic novels, or magazines. Keep track of your titles online.
- New this year: Attend an adult program at any SJCPL location and count it as one book read.
- Read 5 books and be entered to win a Train Your Brain Gift Bag or a Barnes & Noble Gift Card.
- Read 10 books and be entered to win a FitBit Fitness Tracker.
Grand Prize: FitBit Fitness Tracker (1 winner)
Train Your Brain Gift Bag! One lucky winner from each location (10 total) will win an SJCPL bag filled with:
- $20.00 Barnes & Noble Gift Card
- Ear buds
- Colored Wallet
- Bananagrams game
- Notebook and Pen
Additional Prizes: $20 Barnes & Noble Gift Card (20 total)
Your generous support makes our Summer Reading Challenge robust and much more fun than it would be without you.
To our Kick-off Party Sponsors & Volunteers:
Whole Foods Market
South Bend Roller Girls
To our Summer Reading Challenge Sponsors:
Applebees, all locations
Chick-Fil-A, 4555 S. Michigan St., South Bend & 5517 N. Main St., Mishawaka
Culvers, 4402 S. Michigan St., South Bend
Fazoli's, 52770 State Route 933, South Bend & 317 W. McKinley, Mishawaka
Penn Station, all Mishawaka locations
Putt Putt Fun Center, 3615 N. Main St., Mishawaka
SweetFrog, 560 W. Ireland Rd. Suite 101b, South Bend
And to all of our dedicated volunteers!