What movies inspire you?
Everybody has various tastes and movies that inspire some but may not inspire others. Or maybe they are not overtly inspirational movies but might have just that one scene that does it for you. I admit that the ones that hit me over the head with HAPPY and take some plot shortcuts usually work the best. The typical underdog rises up and the bad guys buy the ticket in the end. I make no apology. I take off my Armchair Film Critic Hat (which I am trying to do more and more these days) and settle in. The following are some that I enjoy, and no, many are not unique choices and are floating out there on top 10/50/100 lists.
- The Natural
- That Rocky Movie with the Big Russian Dude
- Finding Forrester (Scroll to bottom to see the classic “Punch the Keys!” scene.)
- Cinderella Man
- Stand and Deliver
- Remember the Titans
- Shawshank Redemption (I know, I know, it is still ranked way too high on IMDB … just the same.)
- Chariots of Fire (It has its stellar moments and even encouraged me to run around the block a few times — with my asthma inhaler, of course.)
- Lawrence of Arabia (I always think O’Toole looks like David Bowie on the cover. Huh.)
- Ben Hur
- Outlaw Josey Wales
- Batman Begins (This is unapologetically still my favorite Batman flick pending the release of The Dark Knight Rises. Like I said, no apologies.)
A GREAT SCENE from Batman Begins, Bruce Wayne is a prisoner in a nasty jail somewhere in the outer cold hell of Tibet/Himalayas. Let’s take a peek:
Enormous Prisoner: You are in hell, little man!
(wallops Wayne upside the head)
Enormous Prisoner: And I am The Devil!
(Punches him again with the usual movie sledgehammer force.)
Bruce Wayne: (not fazed) “You’re not the devil (yawn)…You’re Practice.”
(serious butt-kicking ensues)
And then there is Connery’s famous PUNCH THE KEYS scene from Finding Forrester
So what movies Make Your Day?