Have you deduced it? Maybe you caught it on WNDU this morning? Yes, our One Book One Michiana selection is The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. Are you ready to start your path on the way to the high ranks of Sherlockians out there? Let us help. See the awesome progams SJCPL has planned for you!
What it takes to be a Sherlockian:
• Have read at least 3 Sherlock Holmes stories ( or pastiche stories/novels for advanced Sherlockians. The Sherlockian even counts though it is not a direct Sherlock Holmes story.)
• Tried smoking tobacco via a nice Sherlockian pipe and a)got addicted; b)got sick; or c)BOTH! (Smoking is not recommended by me or the Surgeon General.)
• Know that “Elementary, My Dear Watson!” is not an actual Sherlock quote.
• Realize that Arthur Conan Doyle shared no blood tie with Conan the Barbarian.
• Know at least 2 actors who portrayed Holmes in movies or on stage. (Wow! Who is that intense new actor from SJCPL who seems to utterly possess the persona of all things Sherlock? You better watch out Benedict Cumberbatch and Robert Downey, Jr.!!!)
• Can put a hurt on somebody like Sherlock. (i.e., Know a little Bartitsu?)
Feeling discouraged on the whole Sherlockian thing? No worries. We will wipe all the above requirements if you snag a hot copy of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and spread the word to others about this year’s One Book choice!